13 December 2006

Feelin' my oats


Because it's December. Because it's the holiday season. And because I'm completely bored with eggs, PB toast and other breakfast choices, I have discovered a new obsession: Irish Steel Cut Oats.* To be completely honest, I've had these oats a few times before but for some reason, never really latched on to them until recently. There really is something LUXURIOUS about the fact that they are at once creamy AND chewy, rather than simply slimy (like their more common relative, the rolled oat). They are so decadent that my mom enjoys a warm bowl each evening for dessert!

So here's my recipe for the loveliest bowl of winter breakfast (or dessert, as my mom calls it) you may ever encounter:
Heavenly Oats
1/2 cup quick cooking steel cut oats (I use McCann's)
1/2 tsp. good cinnamon
3/4 cup plain soymilk (not lowfat)
2 T plain applesauce
1 T ground flaxseed meal

Mix the first 3 ingredients together in a DEEP,microwave safe bowl and cook on HIGH for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes, depending on how your microwave cooks.
Let sit for at least 1 minute to cool down and thicken up. You can also stir in a bit more milk if you'd like a smoother consistency. Stir in the applesauce and flaxseed.
For a more complete "experience" I highly recommend finding a comfy chair and a good book to enjoy while you savor your breakfast!

*While I hate to ruin your enjoyment of this recipe with boring nutrition facts, it IS worth noting that this oatmeal is terribly healthy and chock full of good fiber and protein. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment